Monday, October 03, 2005

Haunted Mississippi; markups galore

Countdown to Halloween continues with haunted Mississippi.

While browsing ipodder.org (link to the right), I came upon 'Audio Obit' but didn't subscribe to it. Its a list of the 'daily dead'.

I love seafood, but lobster is usually expensive. This morning, while walking through my local Mall after breakfast, I saw the specials board at the midway pizza/coffee place: Lobster roll for $4!. I asked if it was real lobster and they said it was the same thing you'd get at Subway or D'Abgelos. She said 'People in this mall can't afford $8 for a sub, so we decided to cut our markups drastically and still make a small profit as opposed to charging the usual price and not selling any'. Thinking they'd be tiny, I said "I'll take two". These were regular size subs. I've seen the same things going for $9.99 at Papa Ginos or Subway for a 'regular', $13.99 for a 'medium' and as much as $16. for a 'large'. These were 'large'. Think about just how much markups some companies make. I don't begrudge anyone from making a profit, but wow. That's tonight's and tomorrow night's dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home