Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Spring Planting


I have begun my Spring Planting in hopes of getting some decent seedlings that I could sell at Pemi. I figured the cost of inventory is low, (The cost of some seeds, soil and a few pots). I know eveyone store is selling plants right now, but the idea is to sell uncommon or unusual plants.

We'll have to see how things will 'bloom' by mid July, but here is the lineup:

Lithops (Living Stones) look like stones that suddenly bloom with colorful flowers, a succulent from South Africa. Sown this week indoors for the heat. Should sprout within a few days. 4/24

Venus Fly Trap (Dionaea Muscipula). A fun carnivorous plant. Sown indoors for the heat, expected sprout date in 30 to 45 days. 4/24

Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea Pungens var Glauca 'Misty Blue') are being sown outdoors because they require cooler temps. Germination 15 to 30 days. 4/25

Tea (Camellia Sinensis) sown 4/24, outdoors as its likes the cooler temps as well. I tried sprouting them when I lived in Vegas, but to no avail, most probably due to the high temps, even indoors.

Dawn Redwood - also being sprouted outside, as they prefer cooler temps. That and the Blue Spruce, I will try to 'bonsai'.

Black Dragon Coleus (Solenostemon Scutellariodes) - not planted yet, as they are easy to sprout, probably in July. Yes, I know you can get Coleus anywhere, but these are a stunning Black-leaved variety, and I assume, not available in stores.

Kona Coffee (Coffea Kona) planted today 4/26, after soaking for 2 days. In the house for the additional heat and could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months to sprout.

Backordered: Various cacti seeds (I have a few sprouts from the Walmart/Home Depot packs, but I'd really am waiting for the Orchid Cacti. (Epiphyllum).

Anyone with insider info on the above plants please pass it along. Of course, I plan on keeping a 'sample' of each species.

I am almost ready to do a trademark searh for the Scorched Pig Products (still working on a logo).

Last week, Bruce and I visited a few nurseries and one, Kennedy's in Scituate, Mass. was fantastic. We made two visits in the same weekend. I picked up a gorgeous 11 inch specimen of Haagerocereus Thurberi (Mexican Pipe Organ) cactus for the unheard of price of $4.99. Beautiful dark green skin, with acupuncture needles with a black crown. Went to Walmart and bought a dark blue pot for the contrast and have it outside in a sunny spot in the yard.

Yes, I really understand that selling plants is risky since they are discretionary items during a high cost of oil age (which might cut down on attendance at Pemi), but at least growing things provide me with a little bit of enjoyment.

In an effort to garnet some 'street cred', I joined the Cactus and Succulent Society of America last week when I was taking care of Bruce's pets while he was off on vacation. He lanted his garden of tulips, peonies, etc and we went and picked up stone blocks so he can remove a fence and replace it with a stone wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home