Sunday, November 06, 2005

Catching Up with Podcasting

Its been quite awhile since I have been able to write anything. Working off hours often prevents me from doing things I need and want to do and, as a result many things end of sliding so now I am playing catchup, like reading some blogs that I take a peek at from friends and I am also trying to create my very own unique-for-me listening experience using my Ipod for both music and podcasts. I have had my Ipod for exactly one year, so happy birthday Poddie.

Podcasting takes blogging and 'talk radio' to a new level without the expense of Satellite Radio. I am not going to condemn Satellite Radio because I sell it and my friend Bruce bought one from me and he loves it. But satellite is primarily made up of professional broadcasters (Howard Stern in January 2006), but podcasting is the media for the rest of us. Podcasting is usually music based, but often you'll find a lot of 'talk radio' about current events as well as many amatuer audio blogs. I will probably do one eventually. I have spending a lot of time trying to separate the wheat from the chaff. Some of the best ones I have found so far are:

1. PodcastNYC - This is the best podcasting site on the Web. Check out all of Mediamaster Rob's channels including his Front Page Podcast where he talks mostly about the state of Podcasting, Alley Cuts, his display of indie music and artists appearing in the NYC area and his Pop Culture Rant where he vents his opinions about the current state of Hollywood, TV or even his neighbors. If it weren't for Rob, I would not have discovered the music of Jason Yudoff. Jason is one of the best keyboardists I have heard in a long while. In fact, Jason sent me an email awhile back thanking me for the mention about him in this very blog. Apparently, I am (or was) the only blog to gve him a plug, which I am more than happy to do. If you do decide to purchase one of Jason's CDs, I urge you to do so via the the CD Baby link on the Podcast NYC website so Rob can get his cut. If you want people to produce quality podcasts, you need to support them. I plan to when I can ever get the extra cash.

2. Amplified Podcast - A great ecleptic mix of music from Chicago. Definitely worth the listen.
3. Rock Cast: This Is The Rock - for those who like to rock.
4. Xtrasense - A unique electronic music podcast that I really enjoy
5. A View From The Religious Left - Sermons from the Unitarian viewpoint. Not being able to attend, I use these as my Sunday morning podcasts.
6. Revolution In The Corner - another electonic music podcast that unfortunately has only published one podcast to date, which is a drawback of podcasting - productions can be sporadic as authors make them when they have the time.
7. Blue Power - Take a trip to the Delta for some great blues. One of the best podcasts. (Listening now)

I have also downloaded a Pocast novel, Earth Core now available in print in November. That's another advantage for Ipods and other MP3 players - the ability to listen to books while walking or eating. I have also downloaded Make Radio, an 'erector set' podcast as well as the occasional audio blog, usually done by people in their garage where the quality can be iffy, but often amusing.

I prefer checking for new podcasts via Ipodder.org, and I did check out Podcast Alley. I prefer Ipodder as Podcast Alley's search routine leaves much to be desired although Ipodder doesn't even hav a search utility, it has a click-on calendar, but now that I have caught up to the current day, I will continue to use it. I am using Ipodder as a test bed for new podcasts and manually moving them over to Itunes, but I will use Itunes for the select few winners. I still listen to quite a bit of music, but mostly podcasts, not from my own music collection. Over time, I've listened to Pagan Podcasts, and I found one for Haunted NewJersey and Horror and Englist Folk Songs. Its like having a musical encyclopedia!

My employers intention is to sell Ipods for the Holiday season. We have the display, but where are the Ipods. If people can't walk out with the Ipod, they'll go somewhere else, and now that Apple has the video Ipod there might be an increased demand, but I don't think video will catch on for awhile yet. You can listen to music while you do other things, while video requires your attention. We also sell handheld TVs, but how many peolple do you see walking around with their TVs and DVD players.

I was with Bruce last week when he bought a new computer at the Apple Store at South Shore Plaza and I was definitely in the mood for an Ibook. I could use more CPU power and the machine is built with Podcasting in mind coming loaded with GarageBand and other utilities as well as Itunes to make Podcast creation a snap. Plus, I want to take a break from the Windoze world.

I have more to write, but that will be at a later time, as I need to catch up with other things, such as electronic bookkeeping.

Remember - support your local indie podcasters!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home