Thursday, July 20, 2006

'My Computer' on My Computer

I got my pictures back from the Vermont camping trip at the end of last month and I copied them off the disk onto my 'P' drive. For the second time, I have had a problem with 'My Computer'. When I get into this program, it finds 0 items and won't close so I end up having to kill it. I think I may have taken the disc out of the drive without ejecting it. But I have had this problem before. Running shutdown goes so slow I end up killing power to it. I did this twice today and no workie.

Figuring the computer needed to shut down normally, I ran shutdown and let it take its sweet time going down. It took awhile, but it eventually shut down. Powering it back up, the first thing I checked was 'My Computer' and this still doesn't work. Windows Explorer works, to a point, but not if you click 'My Computer'. I think I have 118MB on my C drive, and although I know I have space issues, this isn't enough to kill it.

My network works, I use DSL and mail works which means I can do 'most, if not all' what I usually do, but I need to know how much space I have at any given moment. I download a lot of podcasts on my P drive and I am always monitoring space on my C drive.

I did a full system scan from both Adaware and Norton as well as defragging both drives, no problems (last night). I have had this machine since 2000 when I bought it to log on from home when I worked at Fidelity. What a mistake not buying a Mac again. My old Mac laptop still gives me no problems since 1997 or so. Its just not cost effective to upgrade (it can only handle OS 9).

My machine is a 2000 Pro, Compaq Presario Laptop. My next machine *WILL* be a Mac, but until then, any ideas how I can get 'My Computer' back. No, I won't upgrade to XP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home