Friday, July 21, 2006

First Trip to Vermont

At the end of June, me, Bruce and Rozz went camping in Vermont. Brandi and Jesse were supposed to come along, but when Jesse couldn't make it, Brandi had lost interest, so it was just the three of us. I was looking forward to it, as I had never ever had been to Vermont, which is strange, considering I was born in New England and I've seen more of the West than the East. Actually, it was kinda designed that way, since my original idea was to go the furthest away from home and get those 'out of the way' that way, when I 'retire' and get tired, I'd hit the closer to home states then. Little did I know at the time, I'd be living in Nevada but I have visited many states in the West - most notably Hawaii, my favorite, which I was very fortunate to visit twice and have visited all the major islands, except Molokai. I've also been to California several times, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, New Mexico and (via AMTRAK) Montana and slept through Idaho. I want to see the ones I haven't been to yet, like Arizona and New Mexico and I personally think Colorado is over rated. Just my opinion, so withdraw those daggers!

Packing was far easier, since this was a 'standard' camping trip, as, unlike Pemi (which is coming up in about two weeks, Bruce isn't selling things. I arrived in Braintree on Wednesday and the first thing we did was to pick up Boo (Bruschi) from the vet, as he had been neutered. Things have changed since I did that to Copa, since Boo didn't have to wear one of those funnel collars because they did internal stitches and used glue on the outer stitches. The only thing was to keep Boo and Sapphire separated so that they wouldn't play to vigorously for the next eight days. We left on Thursday afternoon.

I don't remember if Bruce relied on GPS or not, or we just went down route 2., to southwestern Vermont. We made a dinner stop at a place called the Wagon Wheel in Plainfield, Mass, where we could let the dogs out on their leashes. It is a roadside quick food place more appropriate to a Dairy Queen and they had on the menu fried clam rolls which was Leery to try, because I didn't know how much of a food turnover they had so I opted for a BLT and some hummus and pita. I figured they couldn't ruin a simple BLT and the it was good. My fears were allayed about the turnover as the place soon got busy with locals stopping by. We talked to a few locals about dogs since having dogs, such as the seldom seen Papillions, which is the breed that Sapphire and Boo are attract attention. Soon we were on our way about an hour later. We stopped at a rest area in Guilford, VT as a rest stop and later in Ludlow for provisions like hot dogs, buns, Vermont cheddar cheese (of course) and marshmallows. We arrived at camp, whose name I can't recall about 8PM.

Bruce thought it was 'quiet time' and he kept on shushing us - and Rozz and I refused to whisper in the woods. Turns out that 'quiet time' was 11PM. We set up camp.

By now it was growing dark and it was occasionally raining. Just before entering the camp site, however, and bordering it, is the Plain Road cemetery. Talk about spooky. Miasma, fog and all that, and I couldn't help thinking of the movie "Night of the Living Dead". ("They're coming to get you Bar-bara").

Bruce and Rozz have a larger camper - a Cabana, with A/C, radio and a bathroom, sink, etc. As I was getting ready to go to bed in my 'area' which I felt was smaller and lower ceiling, my claustrophobia acted up big time and I refused to sleep in 'the coffin room'. I opted to sleep in the front seat of the Tundra, where I wished there was manual windows. Not everything 'modern' is best, as I had to turn on the vehicle to put up or down the windows and with the rain, it was quite humid. I had to sleep with windows down until we had a thunderstorm and a quick downpour. Then, of course, I had to deal with the mosquitoes.

Ok, so now I've found some documentation on the campsite with the name. It was the Crown Point Camping Area in Perkinsville, VT. 05151 (802)263-5555.

So, during my first night in the Tundra, we had a very vivid lightning storm, and with the cemetery just feet away and the fact that I remember a Weather Channel Storm Story about a group of campers in upstate New York, who were camping when a severe and unannounced thunderstorm came through, knocking down trees left and right. One tree fell on their camper, but they got out alive as it sliced where no one had been sleeping. All this and the fog and thoughts of 'Night of the Living Dead". I had to turn on the car to put up the windows. But it really wasn't that bad, aside the humidity, as I had my lantern, hanging from the clothing hook and stuff to read, an AM/FM/Shortware radio and my Ipod. I found a classical music station that came in very loud. So loud in fact, I listened to it through the headphones that were beside me.

I had to put the windows down again when the storm passed. It was so humid it was foggy everywhere.

The next day despite being damp, we were able to get a fire going so we could have eggs for breakfast cooked over a campfire. We then headed out to explore the Ludlow area. We stopped to get some medication for Boo, as Rozz grew concerned about his comfort as well as the fact that he was peeing more than normal and it appeared that he wasn't aware he was doing it.

At the local shopping plaza, we again found people who were attracted to the dogs. It was a retired couple whose daughter had Papillions. They told us of a place to eat called Stans. They told us of the 'Early Bird' specials. Stan's turned out to be a high-end restaurant that you wouldn't expect to find in the middle of the woods. The 'early-bird' specials such as Chicken (I had that). Rozz had the Swordfish, Bruce had steak (I think) and the salad bar was excellent. We raved about the food there.

While in 'downtown' Ludlow, checking out the small shops, I stopped in a hardware store where I picked up (and almost forgot to) mosquito netting. There was plenty, tent size, but that's okay, I just draped it over the open window. Did the trick.

It rained steadily throughout the night, so much so, we couldn't get a fire going the next morning. While Rozz, stayed behind working on her embroidery, Bruce and I decided to go for breakfast at a diner we had passed earlier. Only one problem, the road the diner was closed 'due to parade' and there was a detour. After trying to get through to the diner, I suggested that if we can't beat 'em let's join 'em. We pulled over, parked and walked to downtown Springfield. This Springfield reminded me of the Simpson's Springfield.

Springfield, VT is, like many New England towns, a former textile town that drew its power from water generated through a dam and waterfall. A large sign in the middle of Main Street read 'WELCOME ALUMNI'. We had to ask what the parade was all about and we were looked at as if we were dopes. Seems like everyone from Springfield and the Tri-County area knew what 'Alumni Weekend' was. Anyone who graduated from (I assume) Springfield High School could march in the Parade. Only a few years were represented and mostly were all old-timers.

I tried to enter 'Main Street Pizza' but the door was locked and there was a kid inside flipping dough. That was the dumbest thing I ever heard. Here was a guy who had a captive audience of a few hundred (I think) who came out for the parade, and he was closed! And it was now lunch time to boot! I stopped in a Radio Shack franchise to pick up batteries and I was in luck. Instead of a 4-4-10 (Four packs of four) batteries for $10, I got a 5-4-10. Don't know if Radio Shack changed its policy, or because it was a franchise and not corporate run or maybe it was an 'Alumni Weekend' special, but it was a good deal, so I took it.

After the parade, we were able to use the main access road and we went up to the Royal Diner (and the Royal Flush Bar) to get something to eat. I was hungry by then. I had some nachos and a tuna on white toast. I think I sent the sandwich back because the bread didn't seem toasted enough. The place was quite busy, considering that there were signs advertising 'Alumni Weekend' specials.

After lunch, we went back to camp, bringing Rozz some food and we promised we'd go shopping, which we did by visiting the Quechee Gorge area where we visited a few antique shops and stores. I picked up a few bargain containers for plants. Always looking for something unusual to use as planters. At some point, we pulled over to a yard sale where I picked up some Chinese ceramic pots for a buck a piece. Glad not everything was gone.

One thing that I picked up at a 'farmhouse' antique store was a 3 volume vampire story titled "Covenant With The Vampire", "Children of the Vampire" and "Lord of the Vampire" by Jeanne Kalogridis. All for a buck a piece. I wasn't planning on reading them right away, by I couldn't help myself, I am reading the first volume. So far, you know the plot - standard Dracula fare, but the author seems to have done her homework about Rumanian/Transylvanian folklore and culture. A good read, so far.

On Sunday, we packed up camp, and let the GPS guide us through the 'shortest' (yeah right) trip home. It took us through Claremont, N.H., where I once had an uncle who lived there, the Sunapee region, south of Concord, through Manchester and then home. We stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant which was decent.

All in all, I had a great time, as I usually do when I am with Bruce and Rozz. I will post pictures in a few days, but if I don't, it'll be because I am headed to NH for my second Pemi bluegrass Festival and another round of selling, music and camping (and fun).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home