Friday, November 14, 2008

Obama Needs All the Help He Can Get (and give)

I haven't written anything for quite some time due to the fact that I have been busy searching for a job and watching how things keep getting worse and worse. Now that my Unemployment (Extended) has run out, I will soon be among the homeless. Currently, I am living in a boarding house, which I'd love to stay at, and I might be able to eke out another month if I avoid paying bills.

On a positive note, this past Monday I received my Certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language from the Boston Language Institute. I also got my passport last month when the money was still coming in. I had hoped on traveling to Southeast Asia, China or Madagascar, as that is where most of the succulent plants that intrigue me so much hail from.

On another positve note, I found an old friend, Steve, with whom I worked a few years back at Wentworth. I found him on LinkedIn. I wasn't sure if it was him, since thre were about 50 users with a similar name, but I figured he was in the Virginia/North Carolina region. I found him in Research Triangle Park. He made me aware of a career fair for the Wake County Public Schools, but since I don't have any practical experience teaching yet, I figure not to get any hopes up.

When you look at the constant drumbeat of bad news all around the world, its a wonder there isn't more general outrage against the CEOs and execs who we trusted to be smart enough to manage the economy. When people get jail time for smoking pot, but screwing up the economy and constantly laying off workers to pay for executive jaunts and conferences with tax payer money, why aren't they getting jail time?

I spend most of my time looking for work, either in any capacity in IT or as a way to get into Teaching ESL. I am also working on creating a very large Cactus and Succulent database that I have been working on for a few years now. The goal is to eliminate invalid species (over 2400) that would be 'verified' by the Cactus and Succulent Society of America. Someday, I'll get my hands on a digital camera, take a few hundred pictures, add growing instructions, get it self-published, and voila, instant book.

I spend most of my days now, using wifi at my friend Bruce's new business, "Let's Go Clay', a paint your own pottery (ceramics) business located at 699 Adams Street, Quincy, MA. Check out his website at letsgoclay.com I used to spend a lot of time at the Library, but their public wifi was often sporadic and I got hassled by the cops for no good, apparent reason.

On Election Day, here in the US, I had to actually get in line to vote. I don't ever recall that happening to me, other than being 2nd or 3rd in line. But this line was coming out the dor and it was mid-morning! I felt vindicated when I saw crowds in New York, Chicago and Boston, dancing and celebrating Obama's victory. This 8 year nightmare of a Presidency couldn't come to an end soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home